What does “Shing Wako” and our Logo mean?
The name Shing Wako was derived from the Ojibwe word, zhingwaak(oog), for White Pine(s). In the 1930’s there were many white pine in our area and the locals referred to them as Shing Wak’s. Our logo reflects the White Pine, beautiful Lake Edward and the gorgeous sunsets our guests have enjoyed since the opening of our resort in 1937!
Do You Have Camping?
We can accomodate you and your family in our variety of Cabins and Reunion Lodges – we are not licensed for camping of any kind.
Weekly Reservations: Check-In: Sat after 9 am – Check-Out: The following Fri before 10 am
Less Than Week Reservations: Check-In: After 3 pm – Check-Out: Before 10 am
Summer Mini Vacations!
Must be Friday to Monday for 3 nights or Monday to Friday for 4 nights. Either one is the same rate for the same size cabin or reunion lodge.
Pets: Sorry, NO pets allowed.
Quiet Time: – 10 PM to 8 AM.
No Smoking or Vaping: All of our units are smoke and vape free, including electronic cigarettes. Please feel free to smoke or vape outside.
- Additional Lodging Guests – $125 a week or $25 a day, per person, over the “In rate” number per cabin (all ages).
- 7.375% Sales tax applies; NO other taxes.
- All fees reflect a 3% cash or check discount. If payment is made with a credit or debit card, please add 3% to your invoice; on a minimum purchase of $10.
- Visitors – $5 per day, per person (all ages). All visitors must check-in at the office. Hours 9 am – 9 pm. Please park in overflow parking area.
- Highchairs, pack-n-plays – $5 per stay
- Set of towels – $3 per stay
- Coin operated laundry by the office
Deposits: Telephone reservations will be held seven days without a deposit. The deposit will be applied to the last day(s) of your reservation. Balance is due upon check-in.
Group Reservations: Prepayment for group reservations may be required.
Cancellation: Deposits will be refunded in full, less a $50 administration fee per cabin, if the cabin(s) is (are) re-rented on the same basis.
Length of Stay: Weekly, Mini Vacations, 3-night minimum in the winter months, Memorial and Labor Day weekends and a 2 night minimum reservation in the spring & fall.
Fireworks and Off-Road Vehicles: May not be used on resort property.
Visitors: Your cabin fees are only for registered guests. Fees do not include additional visitors, guests, neighbors or relatives. All visitors must first register at the office, pay their fee, and leave before 9 pm. Due to our quiet resort policy and the increased demand on our systems, we require you to discuss with us, in advance, any plans for a gathering of visitors. There are several nice parks in the area for larger groups.
Parking: No more than 2 vehicles by each cabin. Please inquire for boat trailer and additional parking needs.
Life Jackets: A life jacket must accompany each passenger when using our water toys and rental boats.
Firewood: We are serious about protecting our trees! Please DO NOT bring firewood from home. We sell local firewood at a reasonable price and even deliver it to your fire ring! It is now illegal to bring firewood into Minnesota state parks unless purchased from an approved vendor. At Shing Wako Resort we are following the same guidelines. We want you to enjoy your vacation: Please do not put us in the position to ask you for your firewood.
Invasive Species Alert!
Minnesota is working diligently to prevent the spread of AIS. As resort owners, we are supporting these efforts, because clean lakes and a vital fish population are important to us and to our guests. If you are bringing a boat on vacation, Minnesota state law states boaters must:
1) Clean visible aquatic plants, zebra mussels and other prohibited species from watercraft, trailers and equipment before transporting from any water access.
2) Drain water from bilge, live well, motor, ballast tanks and portable bait containers before leaving water accesses or shoreline property.
3) Keep drain plug out and water draining devices open while transporting watercraft.
4) It is recommended you – Let your boat dry for at least 5 days before launching into another lake. If you KNOW your boat has recently been in a contaminated lake, we ask that you have it decontaminated (power washed with 140 degree water) before launching in Lake Edward. There is a decontamination station located on Whipple Drive just south of Crosslake. This service is free of charge. Other decontaminations sites can be found at: www.mndnr.gov/courtesydecon
5) Dispose of unwanted live bait in the trash. To keep minnows and leeches, drain bait containers and refill with tap or well water. In Minnesota, you must remove all aquatic plants, zebra mussels, and other AIS before transporting your watercraft, and keep all drain plugs pulled during transport.
We want to keep ALL invasive species OUT of Lake Edward. These precautions are absolutely necessary.
Please forward this information to everyone in your party who will be bringing a boat.If you’d like to read more information about AIS, please visit this link – http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/preventspread.html Take all precautions to prevent the spread! Thank you for your cooperation!
What’s in My Cabin and What Do I Need To Pack?
Cable TV and Wireless Internet (in or near all Units)
Bed Linens (1 set of sheets, 1 blanket, 1 bedspread per bed)
Dishes, Pots & Pans, Silverware, Toaster, Microwave,
Coffee Maker & Filters, Toilet Paper, Garbage Bags, Dish Soap
Picnic Table and Outdoor stack chairs
Charcoal grills; Cabins 1-14, Gas Grills; Lodges 15-20
Unique to Units 8 – 20 – A/C, Gas Fireplaces and Hair Dryers
Unique to Lodges 15 – 20 Dishwashers & Detergent and TV’s w/DVD/VHS Players
Bath and Kitchen Towels
Personal Items – Soaps, Shampoos…
Fans (If staying in cabins 1-7)
Bikes – Many kids have learned to ride here!
Ossipee (1.5 miles)
Merrifield (4 miles)
Crosslake (10 miles) or Nisswa (10 miles)
Brainerd (12 miles – largest selection of goods and services)